Welcome...

...thanks for stopping by.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and will make it a regular place to visit. It's fun to share some of the more interesting things going on in life with you, in blog land.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours. See you again soon.

Pebbles.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's almost over

So, the higher duties job is almost finished and I can say with all sincerity, I'm glad. It's been a learning curve of fairly steep proportions and I'm happy to have had the chance to do the job. I've learned huge amounts about myself and others during this time.

I have found that my Granny was right when she said "empty vessels make the most noise". When it comes to patients moaning and creating a stooshie, they are waaay louder than necessary and suck up the surrounding oxygen with such vigour it deflates and exhausts all of those who try to assist and appease. The ones who say little and accept the explanations of rescheduled surgery with good grace are fortunately (for me) the majority of the ones I've experienced during this job. I am thankful for that. Truly.

I've confirmed my belief that medical staff can't see stuff unless it jumps up and bites them on the arse. I used to call it a 'boy look' when you couldn't see something that was right in front of your face despite claiming you'd looked for it but I've now renamed it 'doctor look'. Honestly. *rolls eyes*

I'm still leaning to multi-task or have several conversations at once. It's just not my thing to have several plates spinning at once. I'm very likely to end up with a pile of broken crockery at my feet doing that. However, I'm better at taking a breath and dealing with it rather than getting ratty. (Who me? Get ratty? Moi? Never! pmsl) It's not yet a perfected technique by any means but it's an improvement.

As an aside...the strike last week went quite well. We were a 4000 strong group who said we were willing to stand up and fight for decent nurse : patient ratios. We've convinced the State government to sit down and negotiate at least so all is not lost, yet.

All in all, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. I'll be delighted to hand the reigns back to K upon her return next week. I'm actually kinda looking forward to doing my night shifts next week. Fewer phones ringing. No relatives. Patients asleep. Peace and q.... actually a true nurse never says the Q word cos the minute she does the shit usually hits the fan big time!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: